This blog will cover me making this kevlar Vagabond Poke boat a more comfortable, and seaworthy solo canoe, while still keeping it light enough to hand carry from truck to the water....all critiques/advice is welcome!

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

My kevlar Vagabond canoe by Poke Boats

This blog will cover me making the Vagabond Poke boat more comfortable, and seaworthy solo canoe, while still keeping it light enough to hand carry from truck to the water....all critiques/advice is welcome! 



maiden voyage, testing trim by moving seat to "solo" position
Sitting in the rear seat, some Vagabond owners prefer this position when soloing


                         Crazy Creek seat-pad overtop the stock Poke Boat seat which must have been designed by "Marquis De Sade"according to Mike McCrea...and i concur, i tried the seat without the seat pad and it was painful!

Summary and future plans: 
Im planning to install a FeatherCraft "double" rudder kit sold by Chesepeak Light Craft:
the kit comes with the steering/control pedals+cables,  

Maneuvering the vag was a lot easier than my 15' Sawyer kevlar solo, but i experienced weather helm, especially going downwind..(it was a breezy day) so Im definitely buying a rudder system

The stern airbag's valve disintegrated and deflated during my test!! so i stayed in shallow water most of the time. So i'm in the process of making a 'hard' floatation with my homemade hot-wire foam cutter and a bunch of 2" styrofoam glued together and cut into the shape of my vagabonds stern and bow.

i think  the stock seat, when used with my old Crazy Creek seat pad, was not that bad, really...but position was a little too low for my tastes, which gives me the mini-cell modification idea i'm working on...more on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment